Steel Single Skin Heating Oil Tanks
Single skin oil tanks can be installed at a domestic property where a tank with secondary containment (or bunded tank) is not required.
Generally a single skin tank cannot legally be installed if the tank is:
- in excess of 2500 litres
- within 10m of controlled water (river, stream, ditch, soakaway, septic tank etc.)
- located where a spillage could enter a loose fitting manhole or open drain
- within 50m of a well, borehole or spring
- located over a hard surface where a spillage could enter controlled water
- in a position where the vent pipe outlet is not visable from the fill point
- within an Enviroment Agency source protection zone one (see www.environment-agency.gov.uk)
- or in close proximity to any other environmental hazard
All commercial properties must have tanks with secondary containment if they store over 200 litres of oil (single skin tanks can be used as long as they are inside a masonry bund which is impervious to oil and contains 110% of the primary tanks capacity).
If you are unsure as to whether you can legally install a single skin tank, please contact us before purchase on 0800 0568 350 so we can discuss the Oil Storage Regulations with you.
Or alternatively please visit www.oftec.org for more information.
If in doubt please contact us or purchase a bunded oil tank!
All oil tanks should be installed by a competent person.